Guide to moving workspaces to an organization
If people at your company are already working together in Slack, you can move their workspace on to your Enterprise Grid. A Customer Success Manager (CSM) at Slack will work with you, but this guide is designed to give you an idea of what's involved.
Prepare for the move
Accounts and access
Review member's accounts and think about the kind of access they'll need:
- Access to the connector
Make sure all members of the Slack workspace have access to the Slack Enterprise Grid connector in your identity provider (IDP).
- Email addresses
If you allow members to use email aliases, email addresses won't match during migration and duplicate accounts will be created. To crosscheck, download member list as a .CSV from the Members page at my.slack.com/admin.
- Roles and permissions
Make sure each member has the right level of access on the organization after the move. Here are some things to consider:
- Members can only be assigned one role at a time within the organization.
- Guests migrated from a workspace should likely have a guest account on the organization.
Note: We cover Roles and permissions on an organization on our Help Center.
Migration settingsYour CSM can help you choose which settings are best for your organization:
- Turn off account provisioning
This prevents accounts from being de-provisioned when disabling the connector later on.
- Member access and authentication
Opt to automatically sign out all members when the migration process is complete. Members will need to sign in using single sign-on to access their workspaces on the org.
- Tell us how you'd like to handle custom profile fields:
- Move custom profile fields, and create new fields on the org.
- Only migrate the custom profile fields that exist on both the workspace and the org. New fields won’t be created on the org.
- Do not migrate any of the workspace's custom profile fields.
- Decide how to share the news
Send an email, a Slackbot notification, or both to let members know their workspace has joined the organization.
While the move is in progress
Before a workspace can be moved to your organization, we need approval from the Workspace Primary Owner. We send an email and a Slackbot message to make the request, and as soon as approval is granted the migration can begin. Here's what to keep in mind:
- Members won't have access to their workspace while the move is in progress.
- Large workspaces may take a few hours to migrate, so we recommend giving members advance notice to avoid disruption.
All members will receive an email and/or a Slackbot notification letting them know their workspace has been added to the Enterprise organization when the move is finished. Ta-da!
What to expect after the move
The experience of moving to an Enterprise organization is very seamless. Here is a guide of what members can expect after their workspace joins an org:
- Channel and DM history
Members will have access to channel and DM history, files, apps and bots, and custom emoji. Conveniently, DM conversations with the same teammate on different workspaces are merged together.
Members that are on more than one workspace moving to an organization will have their accounts merged based on email address during the migration process. Profile information from the first workspace moved to the org will be used, but members can always update their profile after.
- Display names
If a display name is already taken by someone on the organization, a unique number is appended to the end (e.g., @sara-007). Members can change it to something else if your organization’s display name guidelines allows them to. Otherwise, the display name will be updated through provisioning and pulled from your IDP.
- Workspace settings
The organization’s settings and policies override individual workspace settings, but Workspace Owners/Admins may be able to refine policies and settings further. Our Help Center has more details about Roles and permissions on an organization.
- Sign in
Each workspace sign in page will redirect to the organization’s sign in page:
- Members can sign in using the connector in your IDP.
- If guests aren't required to use single sign-on, they can continue to sign in using the email address and password they used to access the workspace before it was moved to the organization.
Hello! If you have more questions about moving workspaces over to your organization, please contact us. We're here to help! 👋