Migrate workspaces to Enterprise Grid
This guide is here to help you migrate a workspace to an Enterprise Grid org. Not a big fan of moving? Not to worry! A Customer Success Manager (CSM) will help you along the way. ✨
How to prepare
👤 Accounts and access
First, review your member's accounts. Consider the type of access they'll need on the org:
- Access the connector
Give everyone access to the Enterprise Grid connector in your identity provider (IDP).
- Review email addresses
Slack will match members' accounts based on their email address. If people use email aliases, accounts won't match and duplicates will be created. To review emails, download a .CSV list from the Members page at my.slack.com/admin.
- Assess roles and permissions
Each member should have the right level of access before migrating to the org. Keep in mind that members can only have one role at a time. Also, pay attention to guest accounts. (Should they have a guest account on the org?)
⚙️Settings and preferences
Next, your CSM will work with you to see which settings are best for your org:
- Account provisioning
Turn off provisioning to prevent accounts from being de-provisioned when disabling the connector.
- Member access
Opt to sign out all members when the migration completes. Members will need to sign in securely using single sign-on (SSO) to access the org.
- Custom profile fields
Decide how to handle custom profile fields. Here are your three options:
- Move custom fields, and create new fields on the org.
- Migrate custom fields that exist on the workspace and the org. New fields won't be created on the org.
- Don't migrate any custom fields to the org.
When the migration is underway
Before we can start a migration, we need the permission of the Workspace Primary Owner. Slack will send an email and a Slackbot message requesting permission. Once approved, we can get started.
Here are some things for members of a workspace to keep in mind:
- Members will see a message that let's them know their workspace is temporarily unavailable while the migration is in progress. Note, only Workspace Owners and Admins are able to see the estimated completion timeline by clicking View migrations status.
- Large workspaces may take a few hours to migrate. We recommend giving people advance notice to avoid disruption.
- Members will get an email and Slackbot message when their workspace has joined the org.
⏳View active or scheduled migrations
Org Owners and Admins can view active or scheduled migrations from the org's Admin Dashboard. Here's how:
- Sign in to your Slack Enterprise Grid, then click Manage organization.
- Click Organization, then Migrations.
- Hover over a migration and click View migration status for details.
When the migration is complete
🌻Your members' experience
Migrating to an Enterprise Grid org is a seamless experience for the members of your workspace. Here's what members can expect after the move:
- Message history, files, apps, and emoji
Members will have access to channel and direct message history, files, apps, and custom emoji. Direct messages across workspaces are merged together.
During the migration process, members' profile details are merged based on their email address. Profile details from the first workspace moved to the org are used. Remember, members can always update their profile after migrating.
- Workspace settings
The org's settings and policies override workspace settings. However, Workspace Owners and Admins may be able to make adjustments when the migration is finished. Read about Roles and permissions on an org.
- Workspace access
By default, the Workspace Access preference for migrated workspaces is By Request. All members of the org can find the workspace, but first they'll need permission to join.
- Member access
The old workspace URL will redirect to the org's sign in page:
- Members can sign in using the IDP connector.
- Guests can sign in using SSO. Or, they can use their email address and password to access the workspace.
- Org Owners will work with a Customer Success Manager at Slack to migrate workspaces to an Enterprise Grid org.
- Available on the Enterprise Grid plan.