Roles and permissions in Slack
Every member of a Slack workspace has a role, each with its own level of permissions and access. Visit your Workspace Directory to see who's who. 🏷
Types of roles in Slack
- Workspace Owners control the highest-level security and administrative settings, but only the Primary Owner (usually the person who created the workspace) has the ability to delete it.
- Workspace Admins can manage members, public channels, and maintenance tasks or functions.
- Members (the default role for everyone) have access to all public channels in your workspace.
- Multi-Channel Guests can only access channels they've been given permission to use. They can start a direct message with people in those channels.
- Single-Channel Guests can only access the one channel they've been assigned to. They can start a direct message with people in that channel.
On the Slack Enterprise Grid plan? There are two additional roles you should know about: Org Owners and Org Admins. They manage all workspaces (and people!) connected to their Enterprise Grid. Visit Roles and permissions on an organization.
Messages and files
Read the tables below to see more of what each role can do!
✓ Available by default
✦ Only available if a Workspace Owner changes the default setting
✷ Only available to the Workspace Primary Owner
|Join any public channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Send messages in a channel||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete your own messages||✓||✓||✷||✷||✷|
|Create a channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Create a shared channel||✓||✓|
|Create a private shared channel||✓||✓|
|Archive a channel||✓||✷||✷|
|Create a private channel||✓||✷||✷||✷|
|Make a public channel private||✓||✓|
|Rename a channel||✓||✓|
|Delete a channel||✓||✓|
|Set channel retention||✓|
|Set private channel retention||✓||✓||✓|
|Make @channel and @here announcements||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Make @everyone announcements||✓||✓||✓|
|Be added to user groups||✓||✓||✓|
|Manage or @mention user groups||✓||✓||✦|
|Set reminders for channels or members||✓||✓||✓|
|Remove people from channels||✓||✓||✷|
|Remove people from private channels||✓||✷||✷|
|Invite Guests to a public channel||✓||✓|
|Invite a Multi-Channel Guest to a private channel||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Invite a Single-Channel Guest to a private channel||✓||✓|
|Delete other people's messages||✓||✓|
|Invite new members||✓||✓||✷|
|Invite new Guest members||✓||✓|
|Deactivate a member's account||✓||✓|
|Promote a Workspace Admin||✓||✓|
|Demote a Workspace Admin||✓|
|Promote a Workspace Owner||✦|
|Demote a Workspace Owner||✦|
|Set default channels||✓||✓|
|Set discovery and sign up||✓|
|Set name display guidelines||✓|
|Set workspace language||✓|
|Change workspace name/URL||✓|
|Reset all members' passwords||✓|
|Create and edit user groups||✓||✷||✷|
|View analytics and usage||✓||✓||✷|
|Change full & display names*||✓||✓|
|Change an email address*||✓||✓|
|Upgrade to a paid plan||✓||✓||✓|
|Change your workspace's plan**||✓|
|Add a payment method**||✓|
|View billing statements||✓|
|Choose authentication method||✓||✓|
|Transfer primary ownership||✦|
* Only available when your workspace has upgraded to a paid plan.
** Only Workspace Owners and whoever upgraded the workspace can make changes.
Apps & integrations
|Turn on Approved Apps||✓|
|Add apps and integrations||✓||✷||✷|
Note: These permissions don't apply to bots. More information on bot users can be found on Slack API. 🤖