Roles and permissions in Slack
Team roles in Slack
There are five possible roles a person can have on a Slack team, each with their own level of permissions for available actions and access to data.
- Owner — Owners control the highest-level security and administrative settings: payments and billing, team authentication, message and file retention, and so on. The Primary Owner (usually the person who created the account) has the ability to delete the team.
- Admin — Administrators are able to manage members, manage channels, and handle maintenance functions for the team. We recommend larger teams have several Administrators.
- Member — Team members have access to standard features like joining public channels, sending messages, uploading files, and other optional abilities. This is the default for new people added to your team.
- Multi-Channel Guest — These accounts can only access selected channels, and they can start direct messages with the people in those channels.
- Single-Channel Guest — This type of Guest account can only access a single channel and start direct messages with the people in that channel.
Tip: Visit your team's Directory to view a list of your Slack team's Admins and Owners.
Read the table below to see more of what each role can do!
✦ Only available if a Team Owner chooses.
✷ Only available to the Primary Owner.
Messages and files
|Join any public channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Send messages to a channel||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete your own messages||✓||✓||✷|
|Create a channel||✓||✷||✷|
|Archive a channel||✓||✷||✷|
|Create a private channel||✓||✷||✷||✷|
|Archive a private channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Make a public channel private||✓||✓|
|Set private channel message retention||✓||✓||✓|
|Rename a channel||✓||✓|
|Delete a channel||✓||✓|
|Set channel message retention||✓|
|Remove someone from a channel||✓||✓||✷|
|Remove someone from a private channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete other people's messages||✓||✓|
|Invite new team members||✓||✓||✷|
|Invite new Guest members||✓||✓|
|Deactivate a team member's account||✓||✓|
|Promote a team member to Administrator||✓||✓|
|Demote an Administrator||✓|
|Set default channels||✓||✓|
|Set team discovery and sign up||✓|
|Set username guidelines||✓|
|Require "@" prefix for user mentions||✓|
|Change team name or domain||✓|
|Trigger team-wide password reset||✓|
|Create and edit User Groups||✓||✷||✷|
Apps, integrations, and gateways
|Enable Approved Apps||✓|
|Add apps and custom integrations||✓||✷||✷|
|Connect using XMPP & IRC Gateways||✷||✷||✷|
|Turn on XMPP & IRC Gateways||✓|
|View team usage statistics||✓||✓||✷|
|Change others' usernames or email addresses (paid teams only)||✓||✓|
|Add a payment method for billing||✓|
|Change your team's plan||✓|
|View billing statements||✓|
|Choose authentication method||✓||✓|
|Promote and demote Team Owners*||✓|
|Transfer primary ownership||✦|
* Only a team's Primary Owner can change the role of another Team Owner.
Note: These permissions do not apply to bots. Bots do not have all the permissions of normal team members. More information on the differences between bot users and other users can be found in our Bot User API docs.