Roles and permissions in Slack
Every member of a workspace has a role, each with its own level of permissions and access. Visit your About This Workspace page to see who's who. 🏷
Types of roles in Slack
- A Workspace Primary Owner manages a single workspace and controls the highest-level security and administrative settings. This person can delete a workspace, transfer primary ownership, and promote (or demote) other Workspace Owners.
- Like a Primary Owner, Workspace Owners control the highest-level security and administrative settings, but they cannot delete a workspace or transfer primary ownership.
- Workspace Admins can manage members, public channels, and maintenance tasks or functions.
- Members have access to all public channels in a workspace. This is the default role for everyone.
- Multi-Channel Guests can only access channels they've been given permission to use. They can also send a direct message to people in those channels.
- Single-Channel Guests can only access the one channel they've been assigned to. They can also send a direct message to people in that channel.
On the Slack Enterprise Grid plan? There are two additional roles you should know about: Org Owners and Org Admins. They manage all workspaces (and people!) connected to their Enterprise Grid. Visit Roles and permissions on an organization.
Messages and files
Read the tables below to see more of what each role can do!
✓ Available by default
✦ Only available if a Workspace Owner changes the default setting
✷ Only available to the Workspace Primary Owner
|Join any public channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Send messages in a channel||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete your own messages||✓||✓||✷||✷||✷|
|Create a public channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Create a shared channel||✓||✓|
|Create a private shared channel||✓||✓|
|Archive a channel||✓||✓||✓|
|Create a private channel||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Make a public channel private||✓||✓|
|Rename a channel||✓||✓|
|Delete a channel||✓||✓|
|Set channel retention||✓|
|Set private channel retention||✓||✓||✷|
|Make @channel and @here announcements||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Make @everyone announcements||✓||✓||✓|
|Be added to user groups||✓||✓||✓|
|Manage or @mention user groups||✓||✓||✷|
|Set reminders for channels or members||✓||✓||✓|
|Remove people from channels||✓||✓||✷|
|Remove people from private channels||✓||✓||✓|
|Invite Guests to a public channel||✓||✓|
|Invite a Multi-Channel Guest to a private channel||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Invite a Single-Channel Guest to a private channel||✓||✓|
|Delete other people's messages||✓||✓|
|Invite new members||✓||✓||✷|
|Invite new Guest members||✓||✓|
|Deactivate a member's account||✓||✓|
|Promote a Workspace Admin*||✓||✓|
|Demote a Workspace Admin*||✓|
|Promote a Workspace Owner*||✓|
|Demote a Workspace Owner*||✦|
* The person won't be notified of the role change unless they're online at the time it occurs.
|Set default channels||✓||✓|
|Set discovery and sign up||✓|
|Set name display guidelines||✓|
|Set workspace language||✓|
|Change workspace name/URL||✓|
|Reset all members' passwords||✓|
|Create and edit user groups||✓||✷||✷|
|View analytics and usage||✓||✓||✷|
|Change full & display names**||✓||✓|
|Change an email address**||✓||✓|
|Upgrade to a paid plan||✓||✓||✓|
|Change your workspace's plan***||✓|
|Add a payment method***||✓|
|View billing statements||✓|
|Choose authentication method||✓||✓|
|Use Standard Export||✓||✓|
|Use Corporate Export
|Transfer primary ownership||✦|
** Available for paid plans.
*** Only Workspace Owners and the person who upgraded the workspace can make changes.
Apps & integrations
|Turn on Approved Apps||✓|
|Add apps and integrations||✓||✷||✷|
Note: These permissions don't apply to bots. More information on bot users can be found on Slack API. 🤖