Upload and share files
Upload a file
- Drag and drop the file to the Slack window. Magic! ✨
- Copy and paste images directly into the message box.
- Upload a file by clicking the plus icon next to the message box.
- Once you select a file to upload, Slack will prompt you to decide where you'll share it.
- Add a title and initial comment if you'd like. For files you want to share later or just keep private, uncheck the Share in option.
- Click Upload when you're ready. The size limit for uploading a file is 1GB.
Tip: Hold the Shift key while dropping or pasting the file and it will upload instantly, bypassing the option to add a title and comment.
Note: Downloading a file? You can change your default download location. Click your workspace name in the top left, select Preferences and choose Advanced to set your preference.
- Tap the message input box.
- Tap the file with clip icon to upload a file or the image gallery icon to upload a photo. You can choose a photo from your phone or take a new one.
- You can give the attachment a title and add a comment if you’d like.
- Tap the check mark in the top right to send .
- Tap the file with clip icon in the input bar to bring up your available files.
- To upload a file, tap the files icon, or tap the image gallery icon to upload a photo. You can choose a photo from your device or take a new one by tapping the camera icon.
- Tap the attachment to give it a title if you'd like, and add a comment from the input bar.
- Tap the paper plane icon in the input bar.
Note: You can upload files one at a time.
- Tap the plus icon next to the message box.
- Choose from your most recent photos, or from your Photos, OneDrive, or Phone.
Share a file
Slack makes it easy to share files in your workspace. You can also create an external link to share a file in the wider world.
Share a file with your workspace
- Mouse over the file.
- Click the More actions icon.
- Select Share. You can share the file in more than one location by repeating these same steps.
When a file is shared in a channel or direct message, Slack will post a preview of the file in that location. Image files will display inline unless they are larger than 11,000 px on the longest side or over 32 million pixels total.
Anyone in the conversation can click the file to open it. For more options, mouse over the file to:
|Download a copy to your computer|
|Find more actions, like pinning the file to a channel|
|Comment on the file|
- Select the file you’d like to share.
- Tap on file.
- Tap the More actions icon.
- Select Share File.
- Choose the channel or DM, then tap Yes to confirm. Anyone in the conversation can click the file to open it.
- Select the file you’d like to share.
- Tap the Overflow menu in the top right.
- Tap Share file.
- Choose the channel or direct message you’d like to share the file with. That's it! Your file or image is shared. Anyone in the conversation can click the file to open it.
Note: Any member with access to a file you’ve uploaded to Slack can also share it with others.
Create an external link
- Click the file's name to view it in the right sidebar.
- Then, click the More actions icon.
- Click Create external link.
If you uploaded the file, you can find the external link again by clicking View external link in the Actions menu. When you view it, you can revoke the link by clicking the Revoke button.
Apologies! It's not possible to create an external link from the iOS app. Stay tuned for updates in the future!
Keep in mind: Only the file owner or a Workspace Owner/Admin will be able to view and revoke the external link.
Note: If you're a Workspace Owner or Admin and you'd prefer to not allow external links to be created, you can disable this ability from your workspace's Settings & Permissions page.
Share files from Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive
You can share a file from your preferred file management app by pasting a link to it in Slack. To get started with one of these apps, visit a page below:
- Share Box files in Slack
- Share Dropbox files in Slack
- Share Google Drive files in Slack
- Share OneDrive files in Slack
Every Slack workspace is provided with storage for uploaded files. The amount of space varies by plan:
- Free plan — 5GB total for the entire workspace
- Standard plan — 10GB per member
- Plus plan — 20GB per member
- Slack Enterprise Grid — 1TB (1,000 GB) per member
Tip: Audio and video files, including .mp3, .mp4, and .wav will play inline on Slack's desktop app — no need to download the file!