Import message history
Message history can be imported into your Slack team from:
- Another Slack team (visit Merge Slack teams for help)
- A CSV or text file
Import message history to Slack
- Visit the Import Data page at my.slack.com/services/import.
- Click Import next to the service you’re importing from.
- For Slack, HipChat, Hall, or a CSV or text file, click the Choose File button and attach your .zip, .csv or .txt file. Then click Start Import.
- For Flowdock, authenticate with your Flowdock account to begin your import.
- For Campfire, enter your Campfire URL and token to get started.
Slack will begin your import. We'll let you know by email and Slackbot when your import is ready for the next step: mapping your import to Slack!
Warning: Please do not edit the .zip, .csv, or .txt file before importing to Slack — this causes errors during the import process.
Note: Large imports may take time and could temporarily affect your Slack team's performance. You can start one import per hour.
Map your import to Slack
When your import is ready, you'll receive an email from Slack — just click Continue your import in the email, or if you're already in Slack's Import Data page, click the Information required button.
Next, you can decide what data to import and where it will go on your Slack team. Users and channels are automatically mapped for you, but in cases where we didn't get it right, you can tell us what to do.
Users with no email address will be imported as bot users. You can leave as is, or change.
You can import all, some, or none of your old team members to your Slack team. For each team member, you can:
• create an account and invite the user
• create an inactive account and invite them later
• retain their messages (messages will be displayed as coming from a bot)
• choose not to import them
When mapping your team’s messages to Slack, you can choose where messages go, channel by channel. You can:
• map an imported channel to a channel in your Slack team
• map an imported channel to a new channel in your Slack team
• map an imported channel to a new private channel in your Slack team
• skip a channel so its messages aren’t imported
Once you’ve mapped your users and channels, click Save Changes. You'll have a chance to review and make changes, if you'd like. Click Yes, proceed with import when you're ready.
That’s it! Slack will send you an email once your import is complete.
Note: We're unable to import direct message, group message or private channel history.
Keep in mind: You can cancel an import in progress, or rollback once it's complete, and start again. Just click Cancel or Start Rollback found in the Import Data page of the service you imported.
- Team Owners and Admins can access this feature.
- Available to teams on free and paid plans.