Add an app to your workspace
Slack is most useful when all your teammates, tools, and work are in one place. By adding apps to Slack, you can connect your most important tools, centralize all your work, and say goodbye to juggling all those windows.
Browse for apps
There are two ways to browse for apps: in the App Directory or right in Slack.
Explore the Slack App Directory
The App Directory lists every app that can be integrated with Slack. No matter what your area or specialty, there’s an app to help make your work more pleasant, productive, and hopefully fun! Check out the Slack App Directory and start browsing. 🔍
- The Slack App Directory is always just a click away — on your desktop, click your workspace name in the top-left corner to open the menu and choose Apps & integrations.
- To view the apps other members are already using, click Manage at the top right.
- If your Workspace Owner has the Approved Apps feature enabled, click Approved for this Workspace (below Categories) on the left side of the page to view a full list of apps members have permission to use.
Discover apps in Slack
If you'd like to see the apps already in use by other members as well as discover new ones, there’s no need to even leave Slack. On your desktop, simply click the plus icon next to Apps in the left sidebar.
Tip: Any apps (with a bot) that you’ve installed to Slack will be listed at the bottom of your left sidebar under Apps.
When you’ve found an app you’d like to add to Slack, simply click Install (if you’re browsing in Slack on your desktop) or the button below the app's icon in the App Directory. Follow the directions to get the app up and running.
Keep in mind: Anyone can build a Slack app, so only choose tools and services you trust. If you suspect that an app is in breach of our API terms and conditions, please let us know.
Tip: Look for the Add to Slack button in the App Directory to add your favorite apps in one click.
Request app approval
Workspace Owners have the ability to approve or restrict apps for their members.
Are you a Workspace Owner? Learn more about managing apps for your members.
If you’ve found an app that you’d like to use but it isn’t listed as approved for your workspace, here’s how you can request approval from a Workspace Owner:
- Click the green Request button below the app's icon.
- Workspace Owners may require or allow you to include a custom message with your request to install the app.
- When you’re ready, click Submit request.
Tips for using apps
Apps can be built to do just about anything, so no two will work alike. These tips will help you make the most of the apps used in your workspace:
- Keep the noise down. If an app posts a high volume of updates, consider creating a dedicated channel for the app. This will help keep other conversations and channels easy to follow.
- Be the slash commander. Many apps include custom slash commands that can be used to perform certain tasks easily, right within Slack. Learn more about slash commands.
- Get things done in one click. Some apps use Message Buttons which members can click to complete an action or interact with another tool.
Mute an app
If you decide you want to import files from a muted service in the future, visit the Muted Integrations page and click Unmute.
Build an app
Are you interested in building a Slack app? Visit the Slack API site to get started. You can always drop us a line with questions, or simply let us know what you're up to — we'd love to hear from you. 🤗
Tip: If you’re building an app for Slack, you can add teammates as collaborators. They’ll be able to help build, manage, and update your app.
- By default, all members except for guests can use this feature.
- Available on free and paid plans.