Slack for Android
On the move? Use the Slack app for Android to communicate with your team from your mobile device. You can access all your channels and direct messages, and receive push notifications for essential messages.
Download the Slack app
- Find Slack in the Google Play store.
- Tap the Install button. Check the permissions that appear, and, if you’re happy, tap Accept.
Note: If you’re having trouble downloading or running Slack for Android, read about the technical requirements for Slack apps for computers, phones & tablets.
Sign in to a Slack workspace
- Open the Slack app.
- Tap Sign in.
- Enter your email address. (We'll be sending you an email!)
- On the same mobile device, check your email and tap Confirm Email Address to return to the Slack app.
If you can’t access your email from your mobile device, tap Sign in manually, then enter your Slack URL and password.
- If you have existing accounts, you’ll be signed in to all workspaces associated with this email address. Tap Start using Slack, or Sign In for Enterprise Grid.
If you don't have an account yet, you'll see the workspaces you're eligible to join. Click Join workspace to create an account.
If no existing workspaces and no pending invitations are associated with this email, you can tap either Create a new Slack workspace or Try another email address.
Tip: To sign in to another workspace, swipe right to open the channel list, tap the Workspace Menu, then tap the Add workspace icon. To switch workspaces, just tap the Workspace Menu again!
Sign out of a Slack workspace
- Tap the Overflow menu at the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Sign out of [workspace name].
Note: Signing out of a workspace removes it from the Slack app. Once you have signed out of all your workspaces, you will be signed out of Slack on your Android device.
💡 What’s next? Look out for Android instructions to help you manage your profile and settings:
Left sidebar: workspaces, channels, and DMs
Swipe right to open the left sidebar, where you can access your channel list and recent direct message conversations. You can also access all your workspaces from the Workspace Menu and jump between conversations.
Menu drawer: starred items and direct messages
Need to glance at your starred items, or quickly view a DM? Open the left sidebar and tap ▼ in top-left to open your menu drawer and save yourself some scrolling.
Overflow menu: actions and settings
Tap the Overflow menu to open the actions & settings menu, where you can:
- Set a Status
- Check your Activity
- View your Directory
- Snooze Notifications
- Invite new members
- Manage your Settings
Using Slack for Android
Now that you’re signed in and know your way around, let’s get to work! Throughout the Help Center, look for instructions to using Slack features on your Android device. Here are some tasks to get you started.
Tips and tricks
Take a photo or upload a file
Photo op? Tap the camera icon in the input bar to take a photo you can share right away. You can easily upload any file using the file and clip icon in the same input bar.
Touch and hold to find more actions
You can touch and hold a message to add a reaction, mark it as unread, and more. Touch and hold on your own messages to edit or delete them.
Having trouble? Here's what to try first:
- Make sure you’re running the latest version of the app: slack.com/downloads.
- Restart the app: Close the Slack app, remove it from your recent active list, then restart the app.
- Reset local storage: From the Overflow menu at top right, tap Settings, then Advanced.
If push notifications don’t arrive
Slack won't send you a push notification if you've already seen the message on another device. If you think you’re not getting push notifications when you should, you can test your notifications:
- Tap the Overflow menu in the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Push notifications.
- Tap Send me a test notification. (*This will not generate a notification sound.)
Need help? Drop us a line with the details. We'll be happy to help troubleshoot! 💁