Slack for Android
On the move? You can still communicate with your team. Slack for Android is the best way to use Slack on an Android device. You can access all your channels and direct messages, and receive push notifications for essential messages.
Download the Slack app
- Find Slack in the Google Play store.
- Tap the Install button. Check the permissions that appear, and, if you’re happy, tap Accept.
Note: If you’re having trouble downloading or running Slack for Android, read about the technical requirements for Slack apps for computers, phones & tablets.
Sign in to a Slack team
- On your Android device, open the Slack app.
- Enter your Slack URL, then click Continue.
- Tap Type password, then enter your password and tap Next.
Or, tap Send magic link and check your email! When the email arrives, click the Sign in to Slack button. The link expires in 24 hours and can only be used to sign in once. 🔗 ✨ Click Launch Slack to open your mobile app.
Tip: To sign in to another team, swipe right to open the channel list, tap the Team Menu, then tap the Add team icon. To switch teams, just tap the Team Menu again!
Sign out of a Slack team
- Tap the Overflow menu at the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Sign out of [team name].
Note: Signing out of a team removes it from the Slack app. Once you have signed out of all your teams, you will be signed out of Slack on your Android device.
💡 What’s next? Look out for Android instructions to help you manage your profile and settings:
Left sidebar: teams, channels, and DMs
Swipe right to open the left sidebar, where you can access your channel list and recent direct message conversations. You can also access all your teams from the Team Menu and jump between conversations.
Menu drawer: starred items and direct messages
Need to glance at your starred items, or quickly view a DM? Open the left sidebar and tap ▼ in top-left to open your menu drawer and save yourself some scrolling.
Overflow menu: actions and settings
Tap the Overflow menu to open the actions & settings menu, where you can:
Using Slack for Android
Now that you’re signed in and know your way around, let’s get to work! Throughout the Help Center, look for instructions to using Slack features on your Android device. Here are some tasks to get you started.
Tips and tricks
Take a photo or upload a file
Photo op? Tap the camera icon in the input bar to take a photo you can share right away. You can easily upload any file using the file and clip icon in the same input bar.
Touch and hold to find more actions
You can touch and hold a message to add a reaction, mark it as unread, and more. Touch and hold on your own messages to edit or delete them.
Having trouble? Here's what to try first:
- Make sure you’re running the latest version of the app: slack.com/downloads.
- Restart the app: Close the Slack app, remove it from your recent active list, then restart the app.
- Reset local storage: From the Overflow menu at top right, tap Settings, then Advanced.
If push notifications don’t arrive
Slack won't send you a push notification if you've already seen the message on another device. If you think you’re not getting push notifications when you should, you can test your notifications:
- Tap the Overflow menu in the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Push notifications.
- Tap Send me a test notification. (*This will not generate a notification sound.)
Need help? Drop us a line with the details. We'll be happy to help troubleshoot! 💁