Sales tax and VAT
Slack reserves the right assess applicable taxes as required by local law. Depending on location, customers may be charged transaction taxes when purchasing the Standard, Plus, or Enterprise Grid plan.
- Your company address is used to determine the correct tax rate, if applicable.
- Prices shown on our website do not include sales tax or value-added tax.
- Workspace Owners, or the person who upgraded a workspace, can update the company address and other billing details from the Billing page.
U.S. sales tax
U.S. customers may be subject to state and local sales taxes. The postal code entered for your company address will determine whether your workspace is subject to tax, and the applicable state and local tax rates. Sales tax charges will be included as a line item on your billing statement or invoice.
Where sales tax is assessed
- Boulder, Colorado
- Denver, Colorado
- District of Columbia
- Chicago, Illinois*
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
*Lease Transaction Tax
Request an exemption
If your company is tax exempt, please follow the steps below:
- Add Slack's full name and address to your tax exempt certificate:
Slack Technologies, Inc.
500 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
- Send your current and signed sales tax exempt certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your Slack URL (e.g., url.slack.com) in your message.
Slack will charge value-added tax (VAT) on electronic services. Whether you're charged VAT or consumption tax on your purchases depends on your billing address and how you use Slack.
Note: If your billing address is outside of the EU, Japan, South Africa, the Republic of Korea, and Russia, you won't be charged VAT, JCT, or a similar transaction tax.
VAT will be added to your purchase if the billing address associated with your Slack workspace or org is in the EU. In Ireland, however, customers will be charged VAT unless an exemption applies. VAT will be listed as a separate line item on billing statements and invoices.
Request an exemption
Customers with a VAT56B Authorization Certificate are exempt from VAT, and we can help remove VAT from your purchase. Please send a copy of your VAT56B Authorization Certificate to email@example.com, and include your Slack URL (e.g., url.slack.com) in your message.
- Other countries in the EU
Other customers in the EU (not in Ireland), may be exempt from VAT when a valid VAT ID is entered on your Billing page. Learn how to update this information.
Effective January 1, 2019, VAT will be added to your purchase if the billing address associated with your Slack workspace or org is in Russia. Starting on this date, customers can provide their Tax Identification Number (TIN) to be included on billing statements and invoices.
Effective April 1, 2019, Japan Consumption Tax (JCT) will be added to your purchase if the billing address associated with your Slack workspace or org is in Japan. Business customers that purchase Slack will not be assessed JCT on their invoice. Instead, Business customers are responsible for self-assessing and reporting JCT under the reverse charge mechanism.
Customers should update their business status before April 1, 2019 to ensure that JCT is appropriately applied.
Republic of Korea
Effective July 31, 2019, VAT will be added to your purchase if the billing address associated with your Slack workspace or org is in the Republic of Korea. Business customers that provide a Business Registration Number (BRN) will not be assessed VAT on their invoice.
Customers should update their BRN before July 31, 2019 to ensure that VAT is appropriately applied.
Effective July 31, 2019, VAT will be added to your purchase if the billing address associated with your Slack workspace or org is in South Africa. Starting on this date, customers can provide their VAT ID to be included on billing statements and invoices.
Update tax info and business status
If your billing address is in Australia, the EU, Japan, Quebec (Canada), South Africa, the Republic of Korea, or Norway, update your billing info to include your Australian Business Number, Quebec Registration Number, or VAT ID, as applicable, and select your business status.
- Business status: You use Slack for business purposes and expect to receive revenue (e.g., corporations, affiliates, sole traders, self-employed merchants, partnerships, etc.). If you select this option, VAT/JCT won't be applied. You'll be responsible for self-assessing and payment VAT/JCT on purchases at the applicable rate of the country you're doing business in.
- Non-business status: You don't use Slack for business purposes. If you select this option, standard VAT/JCT may be automatically applied based on your billing address. We reserve the right to change your status to Business if we learn your workspace is being used for business purposes.
Note: Beginning March 2019, customers in Japan can update their business status.